Tuesday, October 29, 2013
I thought one honeydew I harvested would just be put into waste. The truth is -- I harvested it at the wrong time. Knowing when to harvest the honeydew is sometimes confusing (-.?). It's skin color doesn't change as the cantaloupe does when it's ripe for harvest already. But it was still worth the effort after all because this recipe I made turned out to be so good, creamy, and delicious. I’m glad I have no waste. Try it and you will be glad you serve it on your table.
Another member of the Cucurbitaceae family that provides *vitamins and minerals like, potassium which helps prevent heart diseases and an increase in blood pressure; Vitamin C which is necessary to boost your immune system; copper which maintains healthy skin; thiamine, niacin, and B vitamins which help reduce the risk of heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
*Nutrition Reference: http://www.livestrong.com/article/340453-health-benefits-of-eating-honeydew-melon/
CREAMY CHICKEN WITH HONEYDEW
400g unripe honeydew
4 pc chicken drumsticks
1 c Heavy Whipping Cream
10g bell pepper leaves
25g ginger, thinly sliced
2 tbsp garlic, chopped
1 pc small onion, sliced
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 c water
½ tsp salt
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
1. The chicken must be thawed before cooking. Wash the chicken thoroughly to remove any slimy juice or scales left at its end. Keep it inside in the refrigerator while you cut the rest of the ingredients.
2. Soak the bell pepper leaves in a bowl of water. Set it aside.
3. Wash thoroughly the honeydew with vegetable and fruit wash and rinse well. Remove the skin and seeds of the honeydew and cut into small, thick slices diagonally. Set them aside.
(Note: Set aside the other half for your next cooking. Wrap it up with cling wrapper and store it in the refrigerator.)
4. Prepare and cut the rest of the ingredients.
5. Preheat the cooking oil in a pan. Sauté the ginger and garlic till they become slightly brown and then add the onion.
6. Mix in the chicken drumsticks and let it in the pan for 3 minutes. Afterwards turn its other side over and let it in the pan for another 3 minutes. Add water and stir. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Mix in the honeydew and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Add salt and stir. Mix in the bell pepper leaves and simmer for another 2 minutes.
9. Turn off the heat. Add the heavy whipping cream and stir. Let it stand for another 2 minutes before serving.
Servings – 4 servings (1 chicken drumstick per serving)
Please see my other Cooking Recipes:
“Cooking doesn’t only involve knowing what and how to cook and prepare all the ingredients, but also how much you love to cook for somebody ."